This Tortilla Española recipe is in honor of José Andrés, who recently received $100 million from Jeff Bezos for being an exceptional human being. Our version is a little labor of love, and yes, we take nontraditional liberties. Most notably, we fry the potatoes and caramelize the onions. We guarantee this Tortilla Española recipe will be a staple for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
4 medium Vidalia onions, or other sweet onion variety
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
Fleur de sel
3 ½ to 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes
1 cup sunflower or other vegetable oil (except for olive oil)
12 organic eggs
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
Edible flowers and microgreens, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Prep the onions: thinly slice the onions. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add onions, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and allow onions to cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat further to medium low and cook until onions are a deep rich caramel color, about 10 minutes more, stirring so that the onions don’t over-brown. Add in brown sugar and some sea salt to taste, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
3. Prep the potatoes: Meanwhile, as the onions are caramelizing, thinly slice the potatoes using a mandolin or very sharp knife. Aim for uniform sliced potatoes that are slightly thicker than a potato chip. In a deep pot, heat the sunflower oil. Working in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pot, fry the potatoes in a single layer for about 2-3 minutes, turning about halfway through so you don’t over-brown them. Transfer the potatoes to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all the potatoes are cooked. Season with salt to taste.
4. Beat the eggs, and add in the thyme, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
5. In a large, round. non-stick, ovenproof dish that is at least 3 1/2 inches deep, add a layer of potatoes, then a layer of onions. Repeat until all the potatoes and onions are used. Pour in the egg mixture. Bake until the eggs are just set but not fully cooked, about 12-15 minutes. Switch the oven to broil and cook until the top is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
6. Turn the heat off and let the tortilla sit in the oven for 5 minutes to set. Garnish with edible flowers and microgreens. Serve immediately, or at room temperature.