Sometimes you come across a dish and it’s the best thing you ever had. In fact, you crave it, searching high and low for ingredients and recipes to re-create that food nirvana. But you just can’t seem to make a suitable version at home. Well, that dish is the focaccia from Six Senses Kaplankaya in Turkey. And we have the best focaccia recipe, straight from the source.
The Six Senses Kaplankaya
When you think of beach in Turkey, you may think naturally of Bodrum. Of course that’s great. But across the bay is Kaplankaya, where the Six Senses holds court. This is a chicer, less touristy part of Turkey, that is within distance to some of the noteworthy attractions in the country. It’s not everyday, after all that you can head to Ephesus, which is one of the Seven Ancient Wonders of the World. Yes, travel is a beautiful thing.
The Six Senses Kaplankaya is one unique wellness center, even within the portfolio of the Six Senses. Check out our full feature here. As with all Six Senses, the food is outstanding, and outstandingly healthy. Think of this as your guilt-free best focaccia bread recipe. We were off the bread on our visit, but that all changed when they brought out the Kaplankaya Focaccia Bread. And yes, it was worth it. This is the recipe, and yes, try this at home.
1 kg flour
20 gr salt
50 gr sugar
30 gr yeast
10 gr improver
100 ml olive oil
550 ml water
Follow these instructions for the best focaccia recipe, that will become your bread go-to.
- Grease your focaccia tray. We recommend a 2 inch deep sheet pan.
- Mix all the ingredients and form an elastic dough.
- After it is a dough, take it to a different counter and portion according to your tray. Cover the dough with cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Take the dough and roll it out on a floured surface. Place it back in your tray/pan.
- Let the dough rest again for at least 30-40 minutes, covered with a kitchen towel.
- Pour a small amount of olive oil on the dough and rub it throughout. Press the dough onto the sheet pan with your fingers. This is the signature dimple design of focaccia.
- Place cherry tomatoes, rosemary and sea salt on top of the bread. You can really make the topping your own. As long as the bread base is good (this is the best focaccia recipe so it will be), express yourself. You can use roasted garlic, any herb and your favorite cheese.
- Cover the dough again and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake the focaccia at 200 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
Enjoy the best focaccia recipe, courtesy of the Six Senses Kaplankaya.