Mashed Potato and CauliflowerThe Mash-Up: Potato and Cauliflower with Parmesan Crust
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 head of cauliflower, about 2- 2 ½ pounds, halved, core removed and cut into florets
1 cup milk
½ cup half and half
8 tablespoons butter, unsalted
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large 6-8 quart stockpot, add cut potatoes, cauliflower and cover with cold water by 3 inches. Set on medium high heat; bring to a boil, lower heat and cook until potatoes and cauliflower are tender, about 18-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan set on low heat add 6 tablespoons of butter, and let it melt. Add milk, half and half, let simmer for about 5-8 minutes (do not let liquid boil). Turn off heat and set aside.
- Drain potatoes and cauliflower in a colander and return to stockpot. Using the electric hand held mixer on a slow speed break up the potatoes and cauliflower. Add half of the butter and milk mixture; continue to mix about 2 minutes. Add salt, remaining butter and milk mixture, and continue to mix on medium speed until it’s smooth and creaming (no lumps). If mash-up feels too stiff add warm milk. Season with salt, to taste.
- Transfer mash-up to a buttered 9 x 12 rectangular basking dish. Smooth top of mash-up with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Mash-up can be made 1 or 2 days ahead. If making ahead let mash-up cool, cover baking dish with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator. When ready to serve remove mash-up from refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Reheat in a 325°F oven uncovered for about 20-25 minutes or until top turns golden brown.