Kale GratinKale, Baby Spinach Gratin with Hazelnuts and Breadcrumbs
2 pounds kale, washed, stem removes and sliced into 1 inch wide ribbons
1 ½ pounds baby spinach, packaged
1 large onion, peeled, small dice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ cup hazelnuts, chopped
½ cup breadcrumbs
½ cup Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, grated
1 ½ cups half and half
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large 4-6 quart saucepan fill with 2 quarts of water and set on medium high heat. Bring water to a boil. Add kale, stir and let cook for about 5-8 minutes. Drain in a colander and pressed down on kale with the back of a large spoon to extract as much water as possible. Transfer kale to a bowl and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl add hazelnuts, breadcrumbs, cheese and mix to combine, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, set on medium heat add half and half, salt, black pepper, nutmeg, stir. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, but do not let it boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan set on medium high heat, add oil. When oil is shimmering but not smoking add onions, stir. Cook onions until soft and translucent about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add kale, baby spinach, onions and mix well. Add half and half and mix again.
- Rub bottom and sides of baking dish with butter. Transfer mixed greens to baking dish. Evenly spread nut, breadcrumb and cheese mixture over top of greens.
- If making ahead, let dish cool. Cover with plastic and place in refrigerator. When ready to serve remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Reheat in a 325°F oven uncovered for about 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown.