Carrots and ParsnipsGinger Glazed Carrots and Parsnips
2 ½ pounds carrots, top trimmed and sliced lengthwise into quarters
2 ½ pounds turnips, top trimmed and sliced lengthwise in half
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons ginger, fresh, peeled, small dice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and slice carrots and parsnips, rinse with water, drain, pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, set on medium heat, add water, sugar, fresh ginger, lemon juice and zest. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until mixture is slightly thickened about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool, strain liquid, and discard solids.
- In a large mixing bowl add carrots and parsnips, sprinkle with salt and black pepper, to taste. Add ½ cup of ginger glaze and toss to cover all vegetables.
- Line the two rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil. Divide carrots and parsnips between the two rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle additional ginger syrup over vegetables but do not drown the vegetables. Reserve a ¼ cup of glaze.
- Place one baking sheet on lowest rack and second baking sheet on middle rack in oven, and roast for 10 minutes, stir. Continue roasting vegetables for another 10 minutes, stir. Reverse baking sheets (lowest sheet to the middle rack; middle sheet to the lowest rack). Reduce oven temperature to 325°and continue to roast until vegetables are crisp tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Carrots and parsnips can be made 1 or 2 days ahead. If making ahead, let vegetables cool. Transfer to a large rectangular baking dish, cover with plastic and place in refrigerator. When ready to serve remove vegetables from refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Pour reserved ¼ cup of ginger glaze over vegetables. Reheat in a 325°F oven uncovered for about 20-25 minutes.