Brussels Sprouts with ChestnutsBrussels Sprouts with Chestnuts and Balsamic Onions
3 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and cut in half
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 chestnuts, 14-16 ounce jar
4 red onions, large, peeled, cut in half and cut into ½ inch slices
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts then cut in half. In a large mixing bowl add Brussels sprouts, olive oil, season with salt and black pepper, toss well.
- Transfer Brussels sprouts to baking sheet and roast in oven for 25-30 minutes. Reduce oven to 325°and continue to cook for another 10 minutes until Brussels sprouts are crisp on outside and tender inside.
- Meanwhile in a large sauté pan set on medium high heat add butter and let melt. Add sliced red onions, stir to coat onions. Cook onions for about 10 minutes, and stir occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, add sugar and balsamic vinegar, stir. Let onions continue to cook for about 25-30 minutes. Watch heat as onions cook, if onions start to burn or dry out reduce heat to low and add ¼ cup water. After a total of 40 minutes onions should be dark golden brown. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add Brussels sprouts, balsamic onions, chestnuts, and mix well.
- Brussels sprouts, chestnuts and balsamic onions can be made 1 or 2 days ahead. If making ahead, let dish cool. Transfer to a large rectangular baking dish, cover with plastic and place in refrigerator. When ready to serve remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Reheat in a 325°F oven uncovered for about 20-25 minutes.